Surfrider’s Priorities Next Four Years
The threats facing our coasts and ocean have never been more urgent. Over the next 4 years, we have a pivotal opportunity to grow and diversify our grassroots movement and to strengthen protections for our ocean and coasts, for generations to come.
We will push to restore environmental laws that were weakened under the Trump administration and we will continue to empower our grassroots network in federal campaigns to push for historic legislation on climate change and plastic pollution.
Ocean protection and climate action are non-partisan issues and we welcome all who are motivated, to join our unique and powerful community as we fight to protect our ocean, waves and beaches.
- Pass the Ocean Climate Solutions Act to protect the ocean and tackle climate change (blog post)
- Pass strong climate change legislation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and help communities adapt to impacts already taking place
- Pass the federal Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act to tackle the grave issue of plastic pollution in the ocean
- Restore clean water and public health protections that were rolled back during the Trump administration – e.g.., “Waters of the U.S. Rule”
- Compel the U.S. to rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement to reduce global ghg emissions
- Ending sewage pollution in the U.S. through an integrated strategy of water quality testing, community outreach, and campaign advocacy
- Pass a permanent ban on new offshore drilling in the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico and Arctic Ocean through federal legislation
- Establishing new marine protected areas (MPAs) to help protect 30% of the world’s ocean by 2030 (blog post)