STOP THE WILLIAMS PIPELINE NY (NESE PIPELINE) CAMPAIGN COALITION
On March 23, 2018: the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) released its Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for Williams Transco’s Northeast Supply Enhancement project (NESE), a pipeline proposal that would carry fracked gas for 23 miles across New York Harbor. This opened up the public comment period when we have the opportunity to submit our opposition to this project and state why it will be so devastating for our ocean climate, air, and more. The time to act is now.
We’ve made it easy to comment by providing these talking points on the following different topics (we’ll be adding more throughout the week, so check back often; you can submit as many comments as you like):
- Safety (view sample comment)
- Climate Change – Measuring Emissions (view sample comment)
- Greenhouse Gases and Radiation (view sample comment)
- Conflicts with New York City/New York State Emission Goals (view sample comment)
- Impacts on Marine and Human Life: Toxic Substances (view sample comment)
- Impacts on Marine Life: Construction Noise and Vibration (view sample comment)
- Harm To Shoreline Economy (view sample comment)
You can submit your comments in the following ways (you can do 1 or all):
1. Attend the public hearing on April 26 from 5PM to 9PM at the Best Western Gregory Hotel, Brooklyn, NY where you will be able to comment in person to FERC. This is the only hearing in New York.
General Tips for Testifying:
- 3 minute limit: be concise and clear
- State name and borough/neighborhood at start of testimony
- State your affiliation with any groups
- If discussing multiple topics: (1) list topics at start; and (2) discuss each topic separately
- State specific areas of the DEIS that you think are insufficient or incorrect
- Personalize your testimony
- If you are an intervenor, state that at the start of your testimony
2. Submit written comments to FERC. You have until May 14, 2018 to submit your written comments.
How To Submit a Written Comment
Step 1: Go to the eComment section of FERC’s website and fill in your info. FERC will then send you an email
Step 2: Open the link in the email FERC sends you
Step 3: Enter Docket Number CP17-101, click Search and then Select
Step 4: Type in your comment and then click submit comment.
General Suggestions for Commenting:
- Send Your Comments to the NY officials responsible for permits: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Each comment should only address one topic. You can submit as many comments as you like.
- List this topic in the beginning (in caps and/or bold).
- If you have registered as an intervenor, identify yourself as such at the start of the comment.
- Do not just copy & paste something provided as a sample – It’ll be perceived as a form letter and flagged as one – mix it up, change the wording & add personal slants.
3. You can file as an intervenor with FERC, which gives you legal standing in the proceeding and requires FERC to address your comments. If you decide to become an intervenor, file your comments after your request is accepted. Click here for instructions.
4. Tell Governor Cuomo to oppose the pipeline. Call Governor Cuomo at (888) 997-5380. Submit a petition to Governor Cuomo here.
5. You can also contact your local elected officials including State Assembly and Senate members and City Council members.
Thank you for joining us in this fight to protect our Harbor and coastal communities!
STOP THE WILLIAMS PIPELINE NY (NESE PIPELINE) CAMPAIGN ORGANIZED BY 350BK, SURFRIDER NYC CHAPTER, SANE ENERGY PROJECT, FOOD & WATER WATCH, NEW YORK COMMUNITIES FOR CHANGE, UNITED FOR ACTION AND NY/NJ BAYKEEPER
For additional details on more upcoming events and actions please contact campaign lead, Noelle Picone at firstname.lastname@example.org.